Easy to Make Tin Can Luminarias

I love to make crafts that reuse stuff that I already have around the house, plus then I don't feel guilty if I send them off to goodwill after the holiday is over (I hate clutter!) So, I happened across the idea for tin can luminaries at Better Homes and Gardens Website and I thought that would be a cute way to make some little luminaries, or they could be big if you used something like a coffee can. I decided to paint them off white instead of orange. For some reason that just seemed right.
Here they are in the day:


And at night:




What you need-
  • tin cans and water
  • hammer and nail
  • paper, marker and tape
  • little tea lights or lcd luminaries
  • spray paint in your color of choice
First fill your tin cans almost full of water and freeze them. That way they won't dent when you hammer in the nails. While you're waiting you can download and print templates from BHG, or just draw your own (what I did for 2 of them) Once, the cans are frozen go ahead and tape on  your templates.

Take one can out of the freezer at a time and take it outside and hammer your nail into all the marked places. If you take out of of them they start to melt and get all sweaty and the paper gets mushy. I'm just guessing on that :)
Now go ahead and remove the paper and then give it a few light coats of spray paint.
Ta da- Neat little free luminaries.


Linking to
The DIY Show Off


13 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love your blog! I've been saving tin cans. Now I know what to do with them!
Regina

Marissa said...

soooo cute! I'll have to attempt making these, my boys would LOVE them :)

Unknown said...

Great idea! These turned out so cute- might have to try it out.

Stephanie Lynn @Under the Table and Dreaming said...

Hi Katie Super cute! I'll be featuring these today! Stop by and grab a featured button if you like. Thanks so much for linking to The Sunday Showcase - I greatly appreciate it! Hope you had a wonderful weekend! ~ Stephanie Lynn

Katie @ This Chick Cooks said...

Thanks for the kind comments and I hope that you all enjoy them when you make them. Please send me a picture!
And, thanks for featuring the luminaries Stephanie :) Have a great day!
Katie

Tony said...

cute! I've been wondering what to do with my saved up cans!

Kimra
http://crafty-cove.blogspot.com

memakingdo said...

Cute, cute, cute I am going to have to make some of these with my kiddos this coming week! Thanks for linking up to Your So Very Creative!

memakingdo said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown said...

this is fantastic. it can go beyond hallowe'en too! christmas, spring/summer, love it! all the design possibilites :)

www.thebirdspapaya.blogspot.com

Inspired2cook said...

Love your luminaries!!! Super cute!!!

Pati @ A Crafty Escape said...

What a cute idea, I love it!

Judy Whatilivefor said...

I sure wish I had read this before I made my Halloween Luminaries! It probably would have gone a lot smoother!

Jamie @ hands on : as we grow said...

I love tin cans! I featured these luminaries as a holiday craft for tin cans! Thanks for an awesome idea!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails